Have you ever followed someone who seems to post content every 30 minutes, or once every 3 years? I’ve never hit the unfollow button so fast. Yet some creators seem to have just the right formula to post content exactly when we want to see it—affirming our decision to follow them, brightening up our feed, and leaving us excited for the next post. YOU CAN BE ONE OF THEM!
In this guide, we’ll go over:
- How often you should post on TikTok and Instagram
- How to analyze your data for the best results
- Tips and strategies for posting consistently
While posting differs a little for each platform, there are some constants that apply to every platform:
- Post consistently - nobody wants to see you post everyday for a week and then fall off the face of the earth for a month
- The data doesn’t lie - there is already data available to inform your decisions - to start, you can post during the best day/time according to our studies. once you’ve been active for a few weeks, you can start looking at your own data and making changes accordingly!
- Planning and repurposing content will make your life infinitely easier and make the most of your hard work
How often should you post on TikTok?
To start: 3x a week
Goal: once a day
Ideal: 3x a day
TikTok is the platform to test content and see if it’s a slay or a flop (reminder: one flop doesn’t mean it’s a flop era). TikTok recommends posting 1-4x per day, but you can start with a few times a week to build yourself up and maintain consistency.
The Tiktok Algorithm is mysterious, but unlike Facebook, TikTok doesn’t punish you for posting too much. The more you post, the more eyeballs you’ll likely get.
This is because every time you post, TikTok shows your content to different people. Videos have a lifespan of around two days on the For You page, so consistent fresh content improves your chances of being seen. In short, there’s limited downside and UNCAPPED UPSIDE!
*Tip: Remember to use trending sounds and hashtags on each post to help your content get discovered!
Set a goal to post 3-5 times a week to get in front of your followers (or potential followers). For each post, track the amount of views views, engagement, and amount of time viewers spend watching your video to get a better idea of how to post moving forward!
How often should you post on Instagram?
To start: once a week
Goal: 3x a week
Ideal: minimum 3x a week & 2 instagram stories/day
According to social media experts, posting about 3x a week on Instagram is the sweet spot. You can feel free to mix your media - aside from static posts, Instagram also has carousels, reels, and stories! Trying a few different things will help you gather data and see what sticks.
Posting at least 3x a week on Instagram increases your chances of showing up in the Explore feed, being featured on other accounts, and appearing in the top keyword search results you use. It’s also the tried and true way to test out what resonates with your fans.
So when is the best time to post on Instagram? Our studies show the following:
Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, offered more insight during Instagram’s 2021 Creator Weekend: he suggests sharing a couple of in-feed posts per week and a couple of stories per day.
Track your posting activity to stay accountable
Now that you know when and how often to post, you might be worried about how you’re supposed to create all this content and what tools are available to help make the process easier. We can help with that!
- Plan Your Content Take some time to plan out your posting schedule and film long-form so that your content is easy to repurpose
- Repurpose your content Create content with the intention of repurposing it - that way, you can post multiple times among multiple platforms.
- Post consistently Posting once a week is better than posting every day for a week and then dropping off for months. Stick to a consistent schedule so you’re always in front of your audience!
- Use tools to analyze your traffic (you can do this using Beacons Link-in-Bio and Post Activity. Measuring your traffic and tracking cross-platform posting allows you to:
- Learn what channels work for you
- Build consistency
- See cross-platform insights
- Hit your posting goals
- Create accountability
- Analyze your cadence
- Compare content formats
You can make these changes and start posting more consistently—and strategically—today. To get started on the right foot, sign up for Beacons to start measuring your traffic and posting activity the right way!